‘Wedding’ means the actual ceremony while ‘marriage’ is the general relationship. ‘Marriage’ (or ‘married’) depicts the relationship status of a person.
- The wedding was held at the church.
- My sister is not married.
Wedding refers to a ceremony that binds two people in the bond of marriage for a lifetime. Therefore, the correct way to say it would be “you are invited to my wedding” and not, “you are invited to my marriage.” ‘Marriage’ is an institution which starts after the ‘wedding’ (the ceremony).
- I am going for my wedding shopping.
- Their marriage did not last for long.
- They enjoyed a long and happy marriage.
- They served delicious food at their wedding.